Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What-Did-I-Make Wednesday

When I first starting cooking (really cooking meals for Matt and I), I always searched for the easiest recipe. And, I was thrilled if it actually was an all-inclusive meal... I could not handle more than one thing at a time! Yes, there were many nights of burned dishes and choice words... But, I'd always throw together a mixed green salad for the illusion of working hard in the kitchen:)

One of my favorite newbie resources was used Real Simple's "Fake It- Don't Make It" recipes. While I've moved-on from these, one recipe has stuck around our home. It's the Shepherd's Pie. It's a warm, hearty meal and perfect for a day like today when we have a foot of snow on the ground. And, since we have tons of potatoes just hanging around, I've decided to make it tonight.

Easy Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (such as carrots, peas, and corn), thawed
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Cheddar (optional, but we always add cheese...)
1 16-ounce package refrigerated or frozen and thawed mashed potatoes (I never used these, but chose to make my own)

Method:
1. Heat oven to 400° F.
2. Place the beef in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until no trace of pink remains, about 5 minutes.
3. Spoon off and discard any fat. Stir in the ketchup and Worcestershire. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Spoon the beef mixture into a baking dish. Mix the cheese (if using) with the potatoes in a medium bowl.
4. Spread the potatoes over the beef and bake until heated through, 10 minutes.
5. Divide among individual plates.

1 comment:

The George Family said...

I totally made this all the time when I first started cooking... sounds good! I might do that too, have tons of potatoes in the house.