Saturday, January 16, 2010

Slowly, Slowly, Slowly Goes the Sloth

Well, the house is making progress -- not much progress, but some. I thought we'd have the bathroom together by now, but it's been a bit hap-hazard. Here's a summary of the progress:

The Bathroom
This was supposed to be the "easy" room and I thought it would be done in a period of 24-hours. All I needed was new hardware for the cabinets/walls and a shower curtain. Easy, right? Matt was more than happy to tackle the hardware (yea!!) and I was certain that I could find the right curtain. And I did- it was only $20 at Marshals- score! When Matt was ready to install the hardware, I went to Home Depot and picked it all up- sans the 6th and final cabinet handle I needed. Wouldn't you know it- they only had 5 and even though I stop by regularly, they haven't restocked. Matt finished the hardware installation in a matter of days (sans the final handle, for which I'm still searching). I washed, ironed, and put up the curtain. Barf- it was horrible. Just awful. I can't believe I paid money for it. Time to regroup.

I looked at the bathroom for several days and finally realized (and embraced) what it really needed: a new curtain (obviously), new towels, and new "accessories". I hate thinking about buying all that "junk", but what we currently own just doesn't work with our current situation. Matt agreed, so I started to look around. The only one I liked that would work in our bathroom was from Pottery Barn and not available to ship until the end of February. And since I want the towels to match, I'll have to wait until that arrives and I can match them right. I'll then pick-up some nice, polished nickel accessories to pull everything together. Heck- maybe Home Depot will actually have my 6th handle by then. But until that glorious day when everything is here, our bathroom is in a tacky transition.

The Kitchen
Oh the kitchen... it's a beast. Our dishwasher won't arrive until the end of January, so our counter is constantly littered with dishes that are drying. And where there aren't dishes, there are clusters of random junk that hasn't quite found a home, yet. Our oven (hello, 1970) is getting replaced this week. And our kitchen table is too big for our kitchen, so we're waiting for an antiques place to come appraise/sell it for us. In the meantime, it's not-fitting-so-well in our dining area, covered in a jumble of junk ranging from baskets, to q-tips, to bills (which I need to pay, but I can't find stamps). So, give me two weeks and maybe- just maybe- it'll be ready.

The Master Bedroom
This might actually be the first place ready for photographs. We have the new sheets on the bed, and our white bed-skirt finally arrived (now I just need to wash/iron it...). We're using our current furniture, so all we need to do is sort/organize our clothes and actually find a way to have it all make sense. (Oh- and somehow find our lamps. Where did they go?) And there's this other problem: window treatments. I'm drawing such a blank on this area, that I'm considering hiring a decorator. I don't know where to start...

The Living Room
Well, it's functioning as of this moment. All of the furniture that we needed for the space has arrived and half of it is assembled (thanks, Matt!). But also in this room is a whole bunch of random boxes full of random stuff. Once we get everything put together and get rid of all of the junk (and for-the-love-of-all-things-holy iron our rug), I'll feel a lot better. But this room has the issue of window treatments, too. Maybe Mama Huff can help when she's in town next week.

The Nursery
This room is currently the "catch all" room. All of our "misc" stuff is in there- and there's a lot it. The good thing is that I'm only 4 months along so we have awhile to really pull it together. It's nice to have this room to just put things and sort through them slowly. Needless to say, this room won't be ready for a long time- even longer if Baby Franck continues to be modest/secretive about his/her gender. Oh- and there are window treatment issues in this room, too. Bottom line: don't expect photos until the baby's almost here.

So, that's where we are... it's a crummy place: I feel like we're never making progress on anything! But, we have loads and loads and loads of things for goodwill, so that's a start.

No comments: