Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Our CSA

As I mentioned in my last post, we joined a CSA for the upcoming spring, summer, and fall. What is a CSA?? Good question! A CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is like having a farm membership. Members (like me) pay a fee and "buy into" the farm. Every week, we receive a variety of fresh, organic produce. Some CSA's require members to work on the farm in addition to paying a membership fee. I made sure to find one that did not require labor :) You can learn more about CSA's at www.localharvest.org/csa/

We decided to join The Golden Earthworm (www.goldenearthworm.com). Besides having an awesome name, it delivers the food about a mile from our home. I'll go on Wednesday afternoons and pick up our fresh produce (if I miss the pick-up, they simply donate the food to a food bank). We decided to join a CSA because:

1. it's organic, making it healthier for us and for the community. Pesticides ruin soil and compromise the water quality.
2. it's local, meaning healthier for us and healthier for the community. Supporting local farms is a wonderful way to be involved in the community and support our neighbors. Not that our neighbors are farmers...
3. it'll help me think "out of the box" for cooking...

While I'm super excited about this, I'm really nervous, too. There's no guarantee about which produce you'll receive. It's all based on what was harvested that week. So, I could easily end up with 6 types of produce that I a) don't like, and b) have no clue what to do with. I guess I'll be getting creative in the kitchen during the harvest :) People who are super-CSA-ers will freeze much of their produce to help them get through the winter months. We will not be those people :)

To find a CSA near you, visit www.localharvest.org and type in your zip code! Some CSAs will actually deliver to you door every week- you can't beat that!

1 comment:

mama celoni said...

Amy,
You are my role model once again!! I have been thinking about joining a CSA. We have one that will sell small plants to start in my veg. garden. If you can do it so can I! Maybe I will get some funky types of tomatoes!I better go find their website.
Lin